You’ve come to the right place for information on Distillation, Hydrosols, and Copper Stills!
The art of distillation is a fascinating and wonderful journey. We suggest you attend distillation demonstrations, participate in a workshop if possible and read lots! There are as many ways to distill as there are distillers, so learn from many and create your own style. Once you learn the basics, distilling on the ancient style alembic and alquitar copper stills is not only fun but very rewarding.
Check back here often as we add information and links regularly.
Online Courses about Distillation & Hydrosols
The Quickstart Guide to Choosing a Still
You will learn the six most important things to consider when deciding on what type and size of still to purchase.
Introduction to Hydrosols
Have you wanted to start using hydrosols (also known as hydrolats), but don’t know what they are or how they are produced? In the Introduction to Hydrosols online course, you will learn the most important foundational information about these amazing healing waters, taught by a Hydrosol Therapist and Clinical Aromatherapist.
Hydrosols for Health
A comprehensive, step-by-step guide to using healing waters called hydrosols. To be updated and expanded in 2023!
- Harvest to Hydrosol, 2nd Edition , 2023 A Harman
- Distillation, A How to Booklet, 2001 J Rose and B Alkire, ISBN 1-879687-08-9
- Secrets of the Still, G Firth, Out of Print copies can be found on internet and in some libraries
- The Compleat Distiller, 2004, Nixon & McCaw, ISBN 0-476-00819-0
- The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy, 1985, Junius ISBN 0-89281-485-3
- Alchemist’s Handbook, 1974, Albertus, ISBN 0-87728-655-8
- Practical Distiller, 1889, Monzert, reprinted in 1987, ISBN 0-917914-58-9375 Essential Oils & Hydrosols, 1999, J Rose, ISBN 1-883319-89-7
- Understanding Hydrolats: The Specific Hydrosols for Aromatherapy, 2004, L&S Price, ISBN 0443-07316-3
- Hydrosols: The Next Aromatherapy, 2001, S Catty, ISBN 0-89281-946-6
Aromatic Wisdom Podcast
The Aromatic Wisdom Podcast is hosted by Liz Fulcher who is a Clinical Aromatherapist, Hydrosol Therapist, and Backporch Distiller. Liz has been producing educational episodes since 2014 and is the most popular educational aromatherapy podcast available today. You can listen at AromaticWisdomPodcast.com or any of today’s popular podcast platforms.
Liz is dedicated full-time to aromatherapy education and teaching through her podcast and online courses at her school, AromaticWisdomInstitute.com. Her website is a wealth of information, so grab a cup of tea and spend some time looking around.
Liz is married to Copperstills owner, James Fulcher. They have 2 sons, 1 grandson, and a herd of cats!
Circle H Institute
Circle H Institute—www.circlehinstitute.com— a website “dedicated to the research, education, and promotion of hydrosols.” The Institute is run by Ann Harman, who has spent most of her life learning about plants and the natural world. She has been distilling for nearly 20 years and shares her knowledge through lectures, workshops, and her website.